Monday 1 October 2012

I Can't Believe I've Been Here a Month

The game this weekend was called How Fast Can I Deplete My Life Savings?
Between the birthday party we threw, the pubs, the concert tickets, the flights, the hostels, an expensive dinner at Nando's, and several impulse buys, I might win this game pretty quickly. 


The weekend started off with a double birthday party for two of the interns. We threw the party at our flat because Julianne's a really good cook, so she made a cake, a pie, and brownies for the birthday and we didn't want to carry it anywhere. We ordered pizza (and I got stuck on the stoop for ten minutes because I got locked out when I went down to pay the delivery guy). 



We then went out to the pubs on Rose Street, which was very fun as well, but also very expensive.



I started off Sunday by buying tickets to see Ed Sheeran in Edinburgh in November. Listen to any of his songs, they're all great. Later that day I went to Nando's with Erik and his friends and then we watched football and went to the American Association.

When I came home from that, I decided to buy my tickets for the recess and stop overthinking it. So I bought my plane ticket from Edinburgh to Munich and then from Munich to Istanbul. I have everything planned out until that Thursday, and I'm still deciding what to do after that. The second week I'm going to London and Paris and possibly Cardiff. Other cities on my bucket list (besides every city) are Copenhagen, Glasgow, and any Eastern European city I haven't been to.

Today I had another full day of work. I wonder if your attention span is like a muscle. I think I might have to exercise mine more. Sitting at a desk for 8 hours makes me bored and fidgety. And a little crazy. While checking Scottish news on BBC, I found an article for a man who got his head stuck in a trash can and had to be rescued by firefighters. I spent longer than I should have laughing at the picture of this guy bent forward into a trashcan, his head inside, waiting patiently to be released. My question for you is...how do you think you go about getting you head stuck in a public rubbish bin?
Here's the link if you're interested: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-19783214

I do still enjoy work, and it's very interesting. I'm learning a lot more than I expected. I expected to learn about the workings of a government and a lot about Scottish independence, but I did not expect to learn as much as I am about random other issues and organizations and programs. I'm currently researching employability statistics to brief my MSP on a debate he's speaking in on Thursday. It's a lot of pressure because it's up to my discretion which information he receives. I'm worried I'm going to miss something important, but there's a lot of dense paperwork on the topic and I'm not sure what is outdated or not. So that's what I'll be working on most of tomorrow.

Other than that, today I just entered a lot of contacts into Outlook for my MSP. It's very therapeutic to do 
mind numbing work sometimes, and I enjoyed being able to listen to the Ed Sheeran album while I did that.

This week should go by pretty fast, I've got lots to do and then I'm off to Germany this weekend. I can't wait!

3 comments:

  1. The poor man was trying to get his hat....but how did his hat get in the litter bin? What kind of hat was it? It must have been a pretty great hat. So many questions.

    When you say football gameyes it soccer or American football? Just curious.

    I love your life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use football for soccer and American football interchangeably... sometimes I even confuse myself. In this case I meant American football!
      Hope everything's good in EDH :)

      Delete
  2. I like how you used the word 'rubbish bin' in the blog above. Very British! Perhaps they had to use a stick of butter to grease this guys head to get him out of the rubbish bin.
    Glad you survived your 8 hours in the office today. Sometimes office work can be riviting, huh?
    By the way, we are sending some $$ your way so you don't get stuck washing dishes at a Turkish kitchen. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete