Sunday 23 September 2012

I Have an Internship!

Just a quick post to let you all know that I finally got the name of the MSP who I'll be working for this Fall. His name is Stuart McMillan from the Scottish National Party. According to the Scottish Parliament website, he is a member of groups for racial equality, nuclear disarmament, housing, and more. If you'd like to read more about him, this is his profile on the Scottish Parliament website:  http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/msps/currentmsps/Stuart-McMillan-MSP.aspx

Other than that, we had a brief orientation on Friday, in which we got a quick tour of the maze like modern looking Parliament building. We met some of the other interns, four of which are from Utah, one from the East Coast. 

Most of us went out for dinner on the Royal Mile afterwards and it was fun to get to know everyone better and complain about our dress shoe induced blisters. 

Yesterday we had a UC intern potluck at three of the other girls' apartment. I made bruschetta. We watched Dr. Who and sat around talking about the internship and plans for travel. While we were hanging out and talking, one of the interns happened to check his email on his phone and saw he had an email from the internship coordinator. We then all went and checked our emails and we shared who all our MSPs were. 

I emailed my MSP to ask him about my start date, which should be sometime this week. Until then I'll be sleeping in, hanging out, and hopefully taking a day trip to Stirling (maybe). I'm also currently trying to plan my two week break in October, when the Scottish Parliament is in recess.

Other than that, I'm still in awe at how pretty this city is. We've been lucky to have some very sunny (but brisk!) past few days, but even in the torrential downpour when I'm forced to use a thin scarf as a hood while walking to class due to my lack of weather appropriate clothing, it's a gorgeous city. I love it here!

Happy belated first day of Fall! I hope your weeks have all been lovely. Also, special shout out to Shannon, who moved in to Santa Barbara yesterday!

2 comments:

  1. Well, I am happy that you will be starting work soon. I checked out the pciture of Stuart McMillan..very Scotish looking! Glad Ediburgh remains charming. I think we would trade you a few cold days since it has been stubbornly warm here even though we are in late September. Have a good start to your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. McMillan is a decent looking chap. He's my age, so he is by no means old :). Better brush up on your knowledge of bagpipes though :) Love the pictures, love the blog, love you. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete